Sharing the road with large trucks is a daily occurrence for most people. But when the mercury rises, so does the number of truck accidents on Louisiana roadways. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the peak months for traffic accidents nationally are August and September. So, why are there more truck accidents in the summertime?
There are several factors that go into this seasonal increase in truck accidents. Key reasons for more summertime truck accidents include:
- Road Construction: Many Louisiana highways undergo construction in the summer, which can create hazards and backed up traffic. When truckers and other drivers aren’t expecting changes in traffic patterns, accidents can occur.
- Hot Weather: An increase in temperature can cause blowouts, which can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicle. Pieces of tire, especially oversized tires likes those on large trucks, can hit other vehicles. It’s also common for truckers to experience heatstroke when the weather is sweltering, affecting their driving focus.
- Heavier Traffic: Tourists, recreational vehicles, drivers pulling trailers, teen drivers out of school on summer break, and more trucks are on the Louisiana roads during the summer, increasing your chances of being involved in a truck accident.
- Distracted or Fatigued Driving: Commercial truck drivers are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to keep our roadways as safe as possible, but some drivers or their employers take advantage of the additional hours of summertime daylight and don’t rest when they should.
When school lets out, young children are more likely to run out in front of a truck in a rest area, fast food parking lot, or gas station, and a tired or distracted truck driver may not be paying attention.
Large Truck Accident Statistics
According to the NHTSA, large trucks are defined as any medium or heavy truck with a gross weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs. In 2018 75% of trucks involved in fatal traffic accidents weighed more than 26,000 lbs. Other findings:
- 71% of people killed were occupants of other vehicles
- 77% of fatal truck crashes occurred between Monday to Friday, 6 am – 7 pm
- 21.2% of truck drivers had previously recorded crashes, higher than any other type of vehicle
Common Injuries in Truck Accidents
If you are involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, your injuries will likely be more severe than those suffered in a car crash. These injuries can be catastrophic and life-alerting, resulting in a decreased quality of life. Some common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal injuries to organs like the spleen, liver, and kidneys
- Chemical exposure, if the truck’s cargo was a hazardous material
Know Your Legal Rights
Under Louisiana law, you may be entitled to compensation if you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident caused by third-party negligence or recklessness. These may include compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of economic opportunity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses, in cases of wrongful death
Why You Need an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
Accidents involving trucks in Louisiana should be carefully handled by lawyers with the specialization and experience to protect you from trucking companies and their resources. To protect their interests, trucking companies typically deploy an investigator to the crash site immediately to begin building their defense.
The sooner you contact an experienced Louisiana truck accident lawyer, the earlier they can begin their investigation defending you. Evidence like impact marks, skid marks, driver’s logs, police reports, camera footage, witness interviews, drug and alcohol testing, and even the truck’s condition help your attorney establish negligence, product liability, or wrongful death.
Why Choose Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a trucking accident, we understand the challenges you face and are committed to getting you the maximum compensation.
We believe you deserve a law firm that puts your best interests first, and that is why we offer a no fee guarantee, so you pay no legal fees or costs unless we win a settlement for you. Contact our law offices today for a no-obligation, free consultation.
If you’re dealing with an injury caused by someone else’s negligence in Louisiana, securing legal representation is critical to obtaining compensation for your damages. Yet, […]Read More
PRESS RELEASE: Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers Spread Holiday Cheer with the Launch of 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway 2023
BATON ROUGE, La., [November 30, 2023]— Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers, a law firm with offices throughout Louisiana, is delighted to announce its ho, ho, holiday […]Read More
Attorney-client confidentiality is a legal principle that ensures that certain information a client shares with their attorney remains confidential. It’s not just about trust, but […]Read More
Originally published May 31, 2021. There’s nothing quite like riding down the road on your motorcycle, enjoying the breeze. Unfortunately, riding motorcycles can be dangerous, […]Read More