Suppose you sustained serious injuries in an accident; you might be looking at a long and painful road to recovery. You’re also likely facing high medical bills, lost income, and can’t enjoy life as you once did. To make matters worse, you also have to deal with the frustration of insurance companies trying to reduce or deny your compensation altogether. New Orleans injury attorneys can help.
When you’ve been hurt because of another person’s negligence, Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers will fight to help you get maximum compensation for all your injury-related expenses.
If you’re considering filing a claim after suffering a serious injury due to someone else’s fault, schedule a free, no-obligation case review with our experienced lawyers.
What Is a Personal Injury Accident in New Orleans?
Personal injury refers to an accident caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness. In most cases, personal injury victims can file a compensation claim for the injuries they sustained in the accident.
Successfully filing a personal injury claim can be a tedious and complex process. For this reason, it’s important to seek legal advice from experienced New Orleans personal injury attorneys about any potential claims..
What Are the Common Types of Personal Injury Claims in New Orleans?
Personal injury accidents encompass a wide range of accidents caused by someone else. The most prominent types of personal injury claims in New Orleans include:
- Slip and fall accidents: When business or property owners fail to follow proper safety protocols and allow hazardous conditions on their premises, a slip and fall accident could occur. These accidents can result in sprains, hip fractures, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Dog bites: According to the CDC, around 1 in 5 people bitten by a dog require medical attention. The average cost of a dog bite claim in Louisiana in 2019 alone was $39,654. The Louisiana state laws mandate that in case you suffer a dog bite injury due to someone else’s negligence, you should recover compensation for your injuries.
- Construction worker accidents: Construction workers and people who walk around the site can easily get electrocuted or hit by falling objects, power tools, or machinery. A personal injury attorney can help you seek compensation for such injuries regardless of how they happen.
- Auto accidents: Auto accident personal injury claims are among the most common in the U.S., with more than two million people suffering injuries every year. Auto accidents can result from driving under the influence, speeding, distracted driving, and more.
- Nursing home abuse: Nursing home residents should receive proper care in terms of nutrition, health care, comfort, and shelter. Unfortunately, there are nursing homes that don’t uphold these standards, resulting in residents of these facilities getting injured.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice by healthcare providers can take many forms, including misdiagnosis or operating on wrong body parts. Suppose you suffer an injury due to medical malpractice; you have the right to file a compensation claim.
How Does the Personal Injury Claim Process Work in New Orleans?
There are several steps involved in a New Orleans personal injury claim process. You’ll need to prove beyond any doubt that you suffered the injury in an accident caused by another person’s recklessness or negligence. This means you should have a doctor examine you immediately following an accident. That way, you can demonstrate that you got injured in that particular accident.
Afterward, you should file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company or take legal action to get compensation for the injuries you suffered in the accident. Whichever action you decide on, research and find experienced personal injury lawyers in New Orleans to help you navigate the entire claim process.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Expect With a New Orleans Personal Injury Case?
You have the right to obtain compensation from any individual, business, or governmental body that caused the accident. However, you’ll need to prove the accident occurred due to the at-fault party’s negligence. Your personal injury lawyer will then pursue compensation for:
- Medical bills: You should obtain compensation for all medical bills that resulted from the injuries you sustained in the accident. These include treatment bills, hospital visits, therapy bills, and payment for adaptive medical devices.
- Lost income: The injuries you suffered in the accident may render you incapacitated such that you can’t work for some time, resulting in lost income. The negligent party should compensate you for lost income due to physical or emotional injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Some accidents can cause a lot of discomfort, impacting the quality of your life. Your attorney can demonstrate how the injuries have affected your life and help determine the compensation you need for your pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death damages: In case the accident resulted in the death of a loved one who provided for the family, you should receive compensation for economic damages and financial loss.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit in New Orleans?
Every state has a time limit to file a personal injury claim. Failure to meet this deadline can result in your case being dismissed. The state of Louisiana laws mandates that personal injury claims be filed within one year of the initial injury. If you fail to comply with this law, you may lose the right to file a claim.
Even so, since injuries resulting from medical malpractice aren’t noticeable immediately, victims can file a claim for compensation three years after the malpractice occurred.
Another exception exists with personal injury cases involving minors who suffered an injury because of using dangerous or defective products. Louisiana law doesn’t limit the duration minors have to file claims for injuries they sustained as a result of using defective products.
Understanding the laws governing personal injury cases can be challenging. If you have questions about your rights following an injury, New Orleans personal injury attorneys at Dudley DeBosier are always ready to help.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Attorney in New Orleans?
Recovering compensation following a personal injury accident can be difficult. Insurance companies always try to pull tricks to pay victims low compensation or avoid paying altogether. They usually hire lawyers to defend their actions.
If you suffered an injury in a personal injury accident, you need to have an experienced personal injury lawyer in your corner to help you navigate the entire claim process to stand a chance of obtaining maximum compensation. Whether to negotiate the settlement claim or champion your rights in court, you can depend on a personal injury attorney to help.
How Dudley DeBosier Can Help With My Personal Injury Case
After a personal injury accident, we understand that you are undergoing a difficult time. Since insurance companies are more concerned about maximizing their profits at the expense of the victims, you need someone willing to fight for your rights. That’s Dudley DeBosier.
Our experienced New Orleans personal injury attorneys are committed to providing excellent legal representation to our clients to help them obtain maximum compensation. Reach out to us today, and let us go to work for you. You can also visit our blog to learn more about personal injury claims and other types of claims.
This content for DD has been reviewed by Chad Lederman at the Dudley DeBosier New Orleans offices. You can reach Dudley DeBosier by calling 866-490-8994.
If you’re dealing with an injury caused by someone else’s negligence in Louisiana, securing legal representation is critical to obtaining compensation for your damages. Yet, […]Read More
PRESS RELEASE: Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers Spread Holiday Cheer with the Launch of 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway 2023
BATON ROUGE, La., [November 30, 2023]— Dudley DeBosier Injury Lawyers, a law firm with offices throughout Louisiana, is delighted to announce its ho, ho, holiday […]Read More
Attorney-client confidentiality is a legal principle that ensures that certain information a client shares with their attorney remains confidential. It’s not just about trust, but […]Read More
Originally published May 31, 2021. There’s nothing quite like riding down the road on your motorcycle, enjoying the breeze. Unfortunately, riding motorcycles can be dangerous, […]Read More