Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or prefer lounging under a palm tree with a cold drink, suffering a serious injury while you’re on vacation probably isn’t part of your itinerary. Unfortunately, vacation accidents are something that many Louisianans deal with when they travel seeking fun and relaxation.
Accidents and injuries don’t abide by anyone’s schedule, and they can happen anytime and anywhere. Determining what to do after an injury when you’re far from home can be intimidating, but following just a few simple steps can help you get the medical care you need while protecting your rights to file a compensation claim.
6 Essential Steps to Take After a Vacation Injury
Take these steps after a vacation injury to protect your health and maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve:
- Report the accident—Notify the manager on duty or property owner of the location in which you were hurt. If you were injured in a car accident, call 911 or alert the police.
- Take pictures—Use your smartphone or a camera to photograph the accident scene, your injuries, and anything that may have contributed to the accident.
- Get names and phone numbers—Get the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident, including bystanders, employees, and the manager on duty.
- Get medical attention—Getting medical treatment not only puts you on the path to recovery, but it also creates an official record of your injuries—which may be valuable evidence for your claim.
- Call your insurers—If you were hurt in a car accident while traveling, report the crash to your auto insurance company. If you purchased travel insurance, report your injury to them as soon as possible.
- Contact a lawyer—Evidence can quickly disappear after accidents, especially when they happen in public places. The sooner you contact a lawyer, the stronger your claim may be.
While these steps may seem simple, they can be difficult to remember when you’ve just suffered a serious injury—especially when you’re on vacation. That’s why we created a free downloadable wallet card that contains all the information you’ll need to protect your health and your rights to compensation after an accident when you’re away from home.
Get Experienced Legal Representation for Your Vacation Injury
At Dudley DeBosier, we know all about vacation and travel-related injuries. With an office located in New Orleans, home of Mardi Gras, the Saints, and the French Quarter, we frequently encounter tourists and vacationers from all walks of life who need help after an injury.
In our years of practice, we’ve helped many people who were hurt through no fault of their own when they were traveling, whether it was just around Louisiana or to distant parts of the country. Contact our New Orleans personal injury lawyers today to find out how we can put our years of experience to work for you. It’s our goal to help you get the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related expenses.
Attorney-client confidentiality is a legal principle that ensures that certain information a client shares with their attorney remains confidential. It’s not just about trust, but […]Read More
Originally published May 31, 2021. There’s nothing quite like riding down the road on your motorcycle, enjoying the breeze. Unfortunately, riding motorcycles can be dangerous, […]Read More
If you’ve suffered a personal injury in Baton Rouge, you may be wondering whether you can file a personal injury claim without the help of […]Read More
Experiencing a personal injury can be a life-altering experience, impacting your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Whether it’s the result of a slip and fall […]Read More